Turmeric, the main spice in curry, is arguably the most powerful herb on the planet at fighting and potentially reversing disease. It has so many healing properties that currently there have been 6,235 peer-reviewed articles published proving the benefits of turmeric and one of its renowned healing compounds curcumin.
This puts turmeric on top of the list as one of the most frequently mentioned medicinal herbs in all of science and the next most popular studied herbs include garlic, cinnamon, ginseng, ginger and milk thistle.
Here are the 10 tumeric benefits supertior to medications (summary):
- Ever since several groundbreaking studies in the mid-1980s, the curcumin in turmeric has been suggested by researchers as actually being a better option for those with vascular thrombosis.
- The journal Phytotherapy Research published the results of an a study which took 60 volunteers diagnosed with major depressive disorder (MDD), such as manic depression, and split the group to determine how patients treated by curcumin fared against fluoxetine (Prozac) and a combination of the two. It discovered that all patients tolerated curcumin well, but they discovered curcumin was as effective as Prozac
in managing depression.
- The journal Oncogene published the results of a study that evaluated several anti-inflammatory compounds and found that aspirin and ibuprofen
are least effective, while curcumin, is among the most effective anti-inflammatory compounds in the world.
4. Arthritis management
- A study was conducted on 45 rheumatoid arthritis patients to compare the benefits of curcumin in turmeric to arthritis drugs (diclofenac sodium)
into three groups: curcumin treatment alone, diclofenac sodium alone, and a combination of the two. The curcumin group showed the highest percentage of improvement in overall [Disease Activity Score] scores.
5. Cancer treatment
- Laboratory studies have also shown that curcumin interferes with cancer development, growth, and spread. Researchers have reported that curcumin blocked the formation of cancer-causing enzymes in rodents. Recently, curcumin has received a great deal of focus because of its ability to reduce tumor size and kill cancer cells.
6. Diabetes management
- In 2009, Biochemistry and Biophysical Research Communications published a study out of Auburn University discovered that curcumin in turmeric is literally 400 times more potent
than Metformin (a common diabetes drug)
in activating AMPK which improves insulin sensitivity which can help reverse Type 2 Diabetes.
7. Gastrointestinal treatments
- An in-depth analysis of all the studies evaluating curcumin’s ability to manage inflammatory bowel disease (IBS, Crohn’s disease, and Ulcerative Colitis) found that many patients were able to stop taking their prescribed corticosteroids
because their condition improved so dramatically by taking curcumin! Many patients with IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) who takes corticosteroids may have reduced their pain symptoms but, over time, the intestinal lining will be damaged making the condition worse.
8. Cholesterol regulators
- Traditionally, statin drugs (like Lipitor)
are widely known to harm the kidneys and liver and cause a number of deadly side effects. They do bring cholesterol down but NEVER address that actual cause which is oxidative stress that is caused by high blood sugar levels and inflammation
. A study done by Drugs in R & D found that curcumin was equal or more effective than diabetes medications at reducing oxidative stress and inflammation in the treatment of high cholesterol.
- The European Journal of Pharmacology published research that discovered curcumin naturally activates the opioid system in diabetic rats. Typically manipulated by drugs, this natural process serves as the bodys inherent pain-relieving response.
- The authors of a study from K.G. Medical College stated that when compared with corticosteroids, the lack of side effects with curcumin is its greatest advantage.