Here are the top 10 warning signs of cervical cancer you should not ignore.
1.Abnormal Vaginal Bleeding
- Most women diagnosed with cervical cancer experience irregular bleeding.
An untimely bout of vaginal bleeding that occurs regularly could be an indicator of cervical cancer. It could also be due to other medical conditions, such as a hormonal imbalance, pelvic inflammatory disease or an infection in the pelvic organs.
As cancer spreads to nearby tissues, it creates new, abnormal capillaries that break easily and cause bleeding. Such bleeding may happen between menstrual periods, after sexual intercourse, after menopause and even after a pelvic exam.
2. Unusual Vaginal Discharge
- A little bit of clear, odorless vaginal discharge is normal. However, if vaginal discharge increases, smells foul or has an irregular appearance, it could be a sign of infection or cervical or endometrial cancer.
When suffering from cervical cancer, vaginal discharge could be heavy, pale, watery, brown or mixed with blood. If you experience this symptom, report it to your doctor immediately.
3. Pain during Intercourse
- Painful intercourse is another important warning sign of cervical cancer. This symptom indicates advanced cervical cancer, which means the cancer has spread throughout tissues and reproductive organs. Apart from pain, you may also experience other symptoms, such as thick, foul-smelling vaginal discharge.
There are other possible reasons for this particular problem, such as an infection or STD. Do not ignore this symptom. Get your cervix examined by your doctor.
4. Pelvic Pain
- Pelvic pain is common among women. Cramping and aches are a normal part of the menstrual cycle and do not usually indicate the presence of cancer or any other serious condition. However, pain that lasts for longer periods of time and occurs more frequently could be a sign of cervical cancer.
If suffering from cervical cancer, you may experience pelvic pain at unusual times, and the pain may start suddenly at any time during the month. In addition, such pain usually does not occur unless the cancer is in a very advanced stage.
If you have experience pelvic pain or pressure, visit your doctor to find out the exact cause and rule out the possibility of cancer.
5. Discomfort while Urinating
- Cervical cancer can also cause discomfort during urination. In fact, it is one of the most obvious and prevalent symptoms of this deadly disease.
Urinary discomforts include burning, stinging or a tight sensation while urinating. Such symptoms occur when the cancer has spread to nearby tissue. This requires immediate attention to prevent further damage.
However, urinary discomforts also can be due to other causes, such as a urinary tract infection, bladder problem, yeast infection or sexually transmitted disease (STD).
Get checked by your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
6. Heavier and Longer Menstrual Periods
- Menstrual periods that are heavier and longer than normal are another common warning sign of cervical cancer. Irritation of the cervix, possibly due to spread of cervical cancer, can cause this problem.
Bleeding is considered heavy if you have to change sanitary napkins or tampons more often than once every 2 hours.
Apart from cancer, heavy bleeding can be due to a hormonal imbalance, fibroids, polyps, pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis or thyroid, liver or kidney disease. It can even happen due to certain medications.
Any change in the consistency of monthly periods should be discussed with your doctor. Remember that prevention is better than the cure.